- March 21, 2022
- Posted by: James Wotoe
- Category: Uncategorized
(Monrovia, Liberia – March 18, 2022) – The Ministry of Education in collaboration with Peace Corps-Liberia has officially launched the Science Technology Engineering Mathematics (STEM) Approach Strengthening program on the 4th floor, Conference Room of the Ministry of Education.
Speaking during the launch of the “Science Lab in the Box” program, the Acting Minister of Education, Hon. Latim Dathong expressed gratitude to Peace Corps- Liberia for its partnership in strengthening Science Education-which remains a top priority of the Ministry’s reform endeavors. The Acting Minister asserted that the support to the STEM Program will help provide Training of Trainers for science teachers in the usage of the “Science in the Box” implementation in the Liberian school system.
The Acting boss of the Liberian Education Ministry explained further to his audience that, support to STEM education will not only help attract students, especially female pupils to the sciences, but remains germane to the provision of critical skills for national development.
Officially launching the program, the Director of Peace Corps Liberia, Ms. Vernice I. Guthrie, narrated that the STEM Approach Strengthening is tied directly to Peace Corps-Liberia’s revised project Goal 1: Strengthening and increasing the capacity of teachers’ general teaching, gender-equitable teaching practices and critical thinking skills.
Accordingly, the program is designed to:
- Increase Science Lab demonstration teaching skills using STEM approach
- Strengthen Science teachers general critical thinking, and/or STEM teaching skills
- Equip Science teachers in the effective use of the “Science Lab in the Box” kit (where there is no lab)
- Strengthen the efficient use of low cost and locally found materials to carry out lab demonstrations
- Provide teachers with classroom management techniques effective in Lab Classroom
- Strengthen Science teachers’ capacities to create Science hands-on/Practical lesson plans
- Increase teacher’s capacity to effectively teach the core science subjects using science lab manuals of blended Liberia’s National Curriculum and WASSCE Syllabus.
Providing the overview of this new partnership support between the Ministry of Education and Peace Corps- Liberia, the Program Manager, Mr. Jonathan Y, Clinton, explained to education stakeholders attending the launch that, one hundred and sixty (160) Science teachers from 8 counties: Bomi, Bong, Grand Cape Mount, Gbarpolu, Grand Bassa, Margibi, Montserrado and Nimba will undergo hands-on lab demonstration training for Senior High Science teachers covering five (5) training cohorts from March 23- April 29, 2022.
Mr. Clinton further informed the gathering that fifty-three(53) Public Senior High Schools are targeted to benefit from these training programs- reporting that fifty schools will receive the “Science Lab in the Box” kit.
For more information, contact J. Maxime Bleetahn/Director of Communications & Public Relations on 0777212197/0886565264 or Call 1416 MoE hotline
Visit: www. Moeliberia.com / Facebook page: Ministry of Education-Liberia